Every year, following the 31 January Self Assessment (SA) deadline, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) receives a number of imaginative and intriguing excuses for not completing tax returns on time. Each year also sees some wildly optimistic expense claims. Recent excuses include:
1. I couldn’t file my return on time as my wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house.
2. I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play.
3. My ex-wife left my tax return upstairs, but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it.
4. My business doesn’t really do anything.
5. I spilt coffee on it.
As well as the excuses, HMRC also receives some questionable items which taxpayers have tried to expense:
1. A three-piece suite for my partner to sit on when I’m doing my accounts.
2. Birthday drinks at a Glasgow nightclub.
3. Vet fees for a rabbit.
4. Hotel room service – for candles and prosecco.
5. £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days.
The excuses and expenses listed above were all rejected.
Read in full at http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/hm-revenue-customs-hmrc/pressreleases/aliens-vertigo-and-a-glasgow-nightclub-included-in-this-years-expenses-and-excuses-2379543